Saturday, January 2, 2010

Sleeping Like A Baby

So here's where it might get a little disturbing for some of you...

I LOVE GOING UNDER ANESTHESIA.

Yes, I'm for real.

No, I'm not sure why. I'm not sure I can even explain it to myself. I just know that I look forward to it every time I know I'm going to go under.

Maybe it's because I really love sleeping so much, and general anesthesia is the deepest, darkest, most velvety sleep you can ever get.

Maybe some twisted part of me likes the rush, the flirtation with death, allowing myself to be made unconscious and waiting to see if I come out again.

Maybe it's because for 5 or 6 hours I get to do absolutely nothing. And have people wait on me hand and foot. To say "I'm thirsty" and have someone bring me some water. And to say, "I want juice" and to have someone take the water away and bring me an array of juices. Or to say "I'm cold" and have someone bring me a freshly baked blanket. (Yeah, that could be it right there. The piping hot blankets are pretty freaking amazing.)

Maybe it's knowing that for half of a day there will be no diapers, no spills, no dirt, no sippy cups, no whining and screaming (except my own, of course, should I feel so inclined) and no one will ask anything more difficult of me than to try to open my eyes now and then.

Whatever it is--I know it must be wrong--but I just can't help but love when they put that mask on my face and say, "Breathe deep. I'm going to give you something to relax..."

15 comments:

Lia said...

I am with you on this one, nothing better. I put it down to knowing that for a short while, I don't have to be responsible for a single thing or anything that happens.
I hate responsibility, I put that down to "HAVING" to be the responsible one, raising 3 kids alone has not been a barrel of laughs at times,so the chance to escape it is very tempting.

Maybe we're just the weird ones haha
much love
Lia
xx

Jen said...

While I wouldn't say I love it (mostly because there is the pain afterward)I don't mind it either.

Mrs. O said...

Not disturbing at all - those freshly baked blankets are addicting. I love that you don't remember a thing from the OR (usually) and only snatches from recovery. I hallucinated last time and thought I saw my husband when he was actually in the waiting room still. Awesome.

Judi said...

amen sister, amen!!

Anonymous said...

I beg to differ. I've only been under a couple times and the first time I didn't even realize I had been out for 45 minutes - I thought the procedure had yet to begin, which means no peaceful, velvety black hole for me. The second time I wasn't completely under so I was aware of the procedure but was unable to do anything about it. Maybe I just need to use your anesthesiologist.

Lyns said...

It's definitely the blankets...and the being waited on...

Hildie said...

My favorite phrase: "Ok, now count backwards from ten"

But usually when I wake up I'm in pain, so it's not all happy and lovely. Well, the sleep is . . .

kado! said...

i LOVE the sleep part...but I'm always scared to death someone is going to do something wrong...and that's the OCD in me...wanting to control every aspect of everything! ...and wondering what the stories would say..."Mother goes under the knife for bigger boobs..and leaves small children without a mother...." it always freaks me out...maybe I need to elect out of electives! ;)

Mia said...

I have never been under anesthesia, at least since I was 8 and had my tonsils out so I am clueless on this one, but those toasty blankets sound pretty nice right now.

mCat said...

After this post? Pretty sure you're my twin. I freakin love it too!

tiburon said...

Hehehehehe.

I love anything that allows me to relax...

Nicki said...

I've only been put under once, and that was to get my wisdom teeth out...it was crazy being in one room and waking up in a completely different one. I didn't get the warm blankets though :(

alex dumas said...

Pretty sure most moms would concur with your delirium. My sister LOVED getting her appendix out.

No hospital for me, thank you.

Shawn said...

I kind of like that also---but not the waking up part....yech----cause I know that I look droopy and keep saying weird things to the nurses.

But---I do suppose you remember that I LOVE hospitals----I just WISH that I had a reason to go and stay in one----oh, oh...I better be careful with that wish....

Financial Aid for College said...

You were actually WITH me the last time they gave me an anesthetic. I had a fractured ankle, and the shot so loosened my already missing "appropriateness meter" that I kept telling everyone, from the orderly to the doctor, that I wanted a hysterectomy.

Aha! The subconscious comes out!