Thursday, January 21, 2010

Help For Haiti + Lunch For Us

I just read this post over on My Life As Kalli, and since you know I'm a big believer in helping people who really need it, I wanted to post about it here. If anyone wants to come and help make quilts to send to Haiti, please come. And I think maybe those of you who know me, and have any desire to see how much food my kids can manage to dump down their fronts in a 45 minute period, can go to lunch with me after...what do you think?


"I've had Haiti on my mind.



Haiti.



If you're like me you've been wondering how to help, how to make any sort of a difference in the awfulness of what's going on down there. All while you sit warm and cozy in your sweatpants typing away on your macbook. Trust me, the irony is not lost.



Well I've got something, and I don't need money from you, I just need your time.



Did you know that within 48 hours of the quake, LDS Humanitarian Services and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints had commissioned two planes loaded with 160,000 lbs of relief supplies with additional supplies to be delivered via truck through the Dominican Republic? Pretty incredible if you ask me. It's just one more thing I love about my church, the powers that be are organized, prepared and ready for action.



My friend Melanie and I got in touch with LDS Humanitarian Services to ask how we could help, turns out their greatest need at this time is full size quilts.



This is where you come in. We need your help. Let's help an organization so busy actually helping those we only wish we could.



On Monday, January 25th we will be hosting a quilting bee at a church in American Fork.



The details are this:

Where: American Fork LDS Stake Center at 140 W. Center St.

Time: 10:00 am to 1:00 pm

Bring: a surger if you have one!

**Supplies will be provided BUT batting donations are ALWAYS appreciated (hint hint)!

Email ME (if you're planning on it): kallikverb@gmail.com



Doesn't matter if you can't sew, your help can be used cutting, ironing, tying or somewhere else.

I know this is a somewhat inconvenient time, but I am begging you to do what you can to make it work. Even if you can only stay an hour, or a half hour, come on your lunch break, we need you!



Bring your kids, mine will be there going batty because that's smack in the middle of his nap time. Sweet!



We are doing this! Come and do it with us. Here's how you can help.



So we'll see you there, right?



RIGHT!


Also, your help would be appreciated in tweeting, facebooking, blogging, just passing the word along you know?"


So there you have it. This Monday. A.F. Bring your kids. Meet bloggers. Make quilts. Help others. Eat lunch after. Can you think of anything more perfect??? (Yeah, minus the kids would be more perfect, but we can do it for the sake of the Haitians, right?)

6 comments:

Kalli said...

You are awesome, also, your house is awesome. I would so live there.

So to sum up, awesomeness all around.

Just SO said...

I'm a planning on being there! I can't do lunch afterwards though because it's my daughters b-day party that afternoon. Darnit!

Shawn said...

Won't be in the area, sorry, but what a great idea! I have my first blocking rehearsal that night, so I will be stressing over that....sigh....I need a vacay....

alex dumas said...

Aw, man. In the middle of the day? Maybe if I took the day off...

Suzie said...

What a fab idea. I passed along the info about the need for full sized quilts. Service project coming soon to our church building.
thanks!

oh, and thanks for your comment! yes, Utah weddings crack me up. every weekend I overhaul Culturel Halls to make them look pretty. It is truly spectacular. (weird & somewhat pathetic)

kado! said...

i SOOOO which I could!