See for yourself...
Prosecutors charge pregnant girl in beating case
May 28th, 2009 @ 11:12am
VERNAL, Utah (AP) -- Prosecutors have charged a 17-year-old girl who allegedly paid a man to beat her up so she would have a miscarriage.
The girl, whose fetus survived, is charged in 8th District Juvenile Court with first-degree felony criminal solicitation to commit murder. She appeared in Juvenile Court on Wednesday, and Judge Larry Steele has ordered her to remain in a juvenile detention facility.
Prosecutors say the girl paid 21-year-old Arron Harrison of Naples $150 to beat her up after her boyfriend threatened a break up if she didn't get rid of the child.
Harrison is charged with second-degree felony attempted homicide and made his first appearance in court Wednesday.
1) So, was it a viable fetus or not? Because last time I checked, Roe vs Wade was still in effect and it was legal to eliminate an unwanted fetus up to the point of viability (22 weeks). Opinions on that issue aside, shouldn't it be legal?
2) If the fetus was viable, then it wasn't a miscarriage she was intending, but a still birth. Miscarriage is only before 20 weeks. So was she trying to cause a miscarriage or a still birth?
2) That's a weird way to get an abortion. By beating? Hmmmm. Not too bright on the mother's part.
3) Is the charge of solicitation to commit murder against herself? Because then shouldn't it be "solicitation to commit suicide?"
4) If the victim PAID the assailant to beat her up, can he really be charged with assault or attempted homicide?
This is such a weird case, I don't know where to begin! Who's making this stuff up anyway?