Friday, January 29, 2010

A Few of My Favorite Things

There will be no end to the self-congratulatory sniggering when my mom finds out I'm blogging about this one, but here it is....

The Infamous Square Frying Pan




I think my mother was the one who first discovered the square frying pan, back when they were a very obscure item. And then she proceeded to give one to every person who got married for the next 40 years. Square frying pans don't wrap well, though, so usually she just wrapped the frying part and left the handle sticking out. This mortified us, of course. It looked so unprofessional. And we always wished, just once, we could give the bride and groom something nice, something that came in a box that you could wrap completely and tie a ribbon around (not a Christmas bow stuck to the outside).

But alas, now that I have kids I realize how incredible handy it is to have a pan that can cook 4 pancakes at once, 4 grilled cheese sandwiches at once, 8 slices of bacon at once, and six pork chops at once...all without them touching each other and sticking together or sliding towards the middle.

I'm sure all of those people who got a square frying pan at their wedding wondered what the heck they'd ever use it for. And I'm sure within a few years, all of them, like me, thanked their lucky stars a hundred times over for this super handy pan.

(Don't you hate it when your mother is right?)

15 comments:

Hildie said...

I have thought this exact same thing. But I would never admit it.

Kristina P. said...

I need to get me one of these!

CaraDee said...

Brandon bought one of these a few years ago and we have loved it. Except it's always hand-washed and I'M the one who always does it. We started giving it as a wedding gift since then. ha! We usually put it in a gift bag, with the handle sticking out, or just taping a pretty card to the front and tying pretty ribbons around the handle.

BUT let me tell you, I bought an electric griddle at walmart a year ago and can i tell you...way more room! It was only $17 and I love it.

We never use the smaller one anymore. So there.

mCat said...

I WANT one of those now!

Kristine said...

Huh, I don't think I've ever seen a square fry pan. Sounds great!

Financial Aid for College said...

I KNEW my daughters would someday repent of their scorn and thank me. One of them even ASKED for a new one after 12 years! (snigger, snigger.)

Plain Jame said...

I have told my husband 817 times that I want one of those.

Guess I need to just get it myself, since he thinks the cast iron skillet is the king of pans anyways.

Lia said...

Sounds like I need to get me one of those.
By the way my mum has passed on now and been gone from us for 14yrs, but from time to time I still find that she was RIGHT and I have to look up and give her thanks. Funny how they never really leave you.

Much love
Lia
xx

Vanessa said...

I really need one!

PS, Stamp group is Feb.4th in PG. Can't remember if you will be in town.

Appalachian Woman said...

My husband got one i was skeptical, but love it now! I was a cast iron girl before.

years ago my mom got me a lap quilt book. I wanted to do it like everyone else then. Studying the devil out of that book now!

Tiffster said...

I totally need one of those! Do they make a rectangular one? I need to do more than 4 at a time.

I am pleased your mother finally gets a little gloat. (And that you like your pan)

kado! said...

i SO want one now!

...i did get a waffle maker/griddle thingy with the rewards points I racked up with my bank credit card...I was pretty pumped about that! ;)

Nicki said...

I use mine almost every day...thank goodness for Lorie!

alex dumas said...

My mother is rarely right. I would be happy to admit it if she was.

Mia said...

I love that your mom was right! I have one that we use quite often, but we use our griddle more, more space.