Sunday, January 10, 2010

And Don't Ever Forget It


I am nothing if not creative with a capital K. So of course I was thrilled when the lovely and talented Wym bestowed the Kreativ Bloggger award upon me today. (Actually, the original Kreativ Blogger award only had two "g"s in it, but since I'm at lesat 1/3 more kreativ than everyone else alive, I decided to bump it up to 3 g's. See how I've proven I deserve this award already?? )

The upside of receiving this award is that all my wasted time blah-blah-blah-ing over the world wide web has just been validated. Ha! In your face, 10th grade English teacher who told me I'd never amount to anything! The downside is that I now have to come up with 7 interesting and/or unknown things to say about myself, as per the Kreativ Blogger Award Official Rules and Obligations. How will I ever narrow it down??? And then I have to pass on this award to several other super kreativ bloggers. Who will make the list? I know you are all dying to find out. Well, here goes with the first part...

1) My body's default reaction to any conditions that threaten homeostasis--i.e. exercise, nervousness, stress, cold, etc.--is for my nose to run. It really can be quite inopportune to have your nose start running like a tap during the middle of your Sunday School lesson. People really don't appreciate my loud goose honk nose blow during yoga either.

2) Scrubbing toilets isn't even close to the top of my list of Most Hated Household Chores. I feel like if I was any kind of human being, it should be. But usually I find it cathartic.

3) I've always felt more at home with people of other cultures than my own. In 5th grade, Melanie Riley-Green, Ingrid Middleton, and Leslie Hill cornered me on the Big Slide during recess and confronted me for abandoning them for Yoko Matsumoto, the new Japanese import. I had to confess that she was way more interesting to me even though she couldn't speak a word of English. I don't think they appreciated my cultural sensitivity.

4) Holding things between my teeth makes me super nauseated. Like pencils. Or papers. Or the hem of a shirt so I can examine my bellybutton. I don't know why.

5) I'm addicted to HGTV. I currently DVR at least 5 different shows on that network. Generally my DVR tapes the first two minutes of the following show before the recording cuts off. And no matter what show it is that follows, I find myself shrieking that I don't have the whole show to watch nearly every time.

6) My gosh, aren't I done yet??? Um, let's see....Oh, I got one. I used to have this horrible Michigan accent. Michiganders have a terrible accent. They have super flat vowels, especially the O, which becomes like an A, and the A, which becomes like an A with your nose plugged and someone sitting on your chest. When I first came to Utah, people asked me all the time, "Where are you from??" And I would say, "What do you mean ? I don't hiev and ieccent."

7) Yesterday I turned on the water in my bathroom sink and put a pair of my daughter's soiled underwear in there to soak. Then I went to the bathroom and got in the shower. It was a decent shower--10 minutes or so. But I kept thinking how I needed to have Big Daddy check the plumbing because it didn't seem like there was enough water pressure. When I turned off the shower, I could still hear water running somewhere. I looked over at the bathroom sink and water was pouring onto the floor. Did I seriously forget to turn off the sink? SERIOUSLY? CRAP. I'm turning into my MOTHER!

There you go. Seven highly entertaining and/or unknown things about myself. You don't' have to tell me if they lean more towards the unknown than the entertaining. I am a big believer in denial.

As for the awards, well no one is as kreativ as...

Cadence, who always does beautiful things with chocolate and glue and paper and glitter (not in the same project of course) and then pretends she's not at all a super amazing crafty mom.

or

The Boob Nazi, who I recently started reading. She is spunky and sassy and she tells it LIKE IT IS. I love a woman with a mind of her own!

or

Gurbonzo, who CRACKS. Me. UP. She has the greatest knack for telling the parts of life that should be the most depressing in a way that is absolutely hysterical. Of course, it's mostly only hysterical because it's happening to someone else, not me. But still, that takes talent.

or

Plain Jame. She wields words like a Ginsu knife; the tin cans of mediocrity are nothing to her verbal prowess...hiYA! I love to just plunge into her posts and experience her life almost as real-ly as my own.

or

Rae at Us in Tejas. She tells the best stories ever. And I have a feeling if we got together for a chat, we'd be there for 11 days at least, both of us being so terribly interesting and loving to gab like we do. She's a soul sister, I'm sure.

If you're looking for some good reading, check those out. But make sure you always read MY blog more. Loyalty, people. It's called loyalty.

13 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I too love the HGTV. I love House Hunters, My First Place, etc.

Jen said...

I have to disagree about the Michigan accents. I LOVE them!!! I had a friend when I was in high school who was from Michigan and I could literally sit and listen to her talk for HOURS, its that good for me. lol congrats on your award!!!

Plain Jame said...

I love reading misc tidbits about people... then I scroll down and saw my name. WOW, you're too kind. I love reading your blog too. I have like 407 unread posts in my reader and I came here - that should tell ya something.

Jules AF said...

Many thanks! And oh my gosh! I totally get nauseated when I put things between my teeth too!

Shawn said...

Oh---HGTV---House Hunters International is my FAVORITE show!! And you DESERVE this award----so extremely creative!

Congrats!!!

kado! said...

i hate that when my DVR does that...gives me a tid-bit of the next show and leaves me wanting more...it's such a slut!

...Hmm...so you like imports huh...does being adopted count? That is kind-a like an import/export trade thingy...have I told you before I'm Italian and Welch? Bet that makes you want me even more...huh?! ;)

I gotta check out these other blogs...don't worry I'll be back here too!

Thanks for the award...I just might cross my award picket-line for you!

Mia said...

You are most definitely creative with a capitol K. I haven't read a new blog in ages. Maybe it is time to up my reader again.

mCat said...

I love ANY kind of accent including Michigan.

And I've Boob Nazi everywhere, think I'll head over for a read....

alex dumas said...

Hooray for awards. This one seems to have inflated your head somewhat, and I love that. You're on one today.

Financial Aid for College said...

Your mother would resent the slur if only she could deny its truth. Memory? Perhaps she missed that sign-up and went through the mammary line twice, instead.

Mrs. 38-triple-D.

Suzie said...

Congrats on the award. It couldn;t go to a more Creative person.
and how creative of you to clean the bathroom floor like that!
:)

tiburon said...

I was going to leave you the most awesome comment on this post. Til I found out I didn't make the Kreativ list.

Now I got nothin'.

Plain Jame said...

Hahaha, tib, she's always soakin up all the awards all over the place, and then when you're kind to us lesser folk (only speakin for myself here) she's green.
I LOVE IT! hahahaha