Thursday, November 13, 2008

Lost in Translation


Daphne, as most 3 year olds do (at least I hope they do or I am a little worried about her) likes to make references to things that have no relation to anything at hand. Here is an example. Today I was helping her go potty and she said, "Mommy, Sara doesn't like rough toilet paper." Ummm...Ok. Where did that come from? First of all, I had no idea who she was referring to as she has no friends named Sara. She does, however, have two aunts named Sara(h). Second of all, I'm pretty sure neither auntie has ever made any declarations to Daphne on how they like their toilet paper. So I questioned Daphne further. "Daphne, who is Sara?" "Sara. With the puppies," she went on. "Oh, CARA," I clarified. For the record, Cara is my friend. And I'm sure she's never specified her preferences on toilet paper. But at least she does have puppies. That part of the conversation was based in reality. "What are the puppies names?" Daphne went on. "Pearl, Chowder, and Emma," I replied. "Mommy, can I go see Poo and China and Fred?" she asked. Uh....maybe I should get her hearing checked too.

5 comments:

Jen said...

Kids are funny! Mason does this too.

CaraDee said...

You know, as I started reading, I KNEW I had to be Sara, cause that's at least her remembering the SOUND of my name...ha
And i'm honored that she'd think of me whilst wiping. I know I think of her. And NO, I do NOT like rough TP. She's smart, that one.

Mia said...

I can see where she got poo and china, but Fred? I love the crazy train of thought kids have.

tiburon said...

That is too funny! Love that Daphne!

Anonymous said...

Maybe it's just a very short attention span. Then again, I do know all of my friends' bathroom preferences. I think most people on here have noticed your penchant for bathroom discussions (e.g., public restrooms, bidets, etc.).