Tuesday, April 20, 2010

HCG - The Final Analysis

Final Weight Loss: 10.2 lbs in 22 days. (Average ~ 1/2 lb per day)
Final Inches Lost: 19 inches (arms, legs, waist, neck, hips, chest)
Final Sizes Difference: Shirt - Medium to small, Pants - size 10 to size 6

Final Comments: This was a hard diet, but this was also a very worth-it diet. As I said when I started, I just couldn't seem to get over that hump with diet and exercise. Whether my body was clinging too tightly to that weight I'd been at for 2 years, or I just didn't have the motivation to keep it up long enough, I knew I needed something to push me to a new level. And this worked!

I know everyone is on pins and needles now to see if I can keep it off. So am I! I'll tell you one thing, my first day off the VLCD and on to the Maintenance Phase, was hard! Even though I should feel like I have a lot more food options available to me (nuts, eggs, all meats, dairy, all fruits and veggies), I still have a hard time thinking what I can eat when carbs are forbidden. I had an awards dinner for my husband and turned down the juice spritzer, the rolls, and most of the mashed potatoes. I did, however, lose my gumption when it came to the cheesecake dessert. I ate most of it. Shame on me! I just couldn't help it. It was my first dessert in 3 weeks!!!!! (That is pretty much a complete mircale for this girl!) But let me also tell you, I felt like I was going to burst after 1 1/2 pieces of the 3 slices of pork roast I was served, some asparagus and a baby carrot, 1/4 cup of mashed potatoes, and 1/2 cup of cheesecake. I thought I would die! And I wasn't hungry again at all until 7pm. Then I had a chicken salad (full fat dressing, yum! thank goodness that is allowed now) for dinner and 2 1/2 hours later I still feel so full I want to barf. I guess that is one thing about eating such small amounts over the last 3 weeks...it has totally shrunk my stomach down and I just don't want large quantities of food anymore.

Other observations:
- I drink way more water now.
- My joint pains have almost disappeared (curious, huh?). I wonder if it's from all the fruits and veggies or less fat or what.
- My nails are super thick and strong (unlike usual, when they're super weak)
- My skin is very dry (no fats or oils in lotions were allowed)
- I have totally gotten over my pop addiction
- I automatically think of adding fresh veggies and fruits to my meals
- I am pretty satisfied with a 50 calorie strawberry smoothy for breakfast. I may keep that up. (But I will allow a real snack later since the smoothie isn't terribly long-lasting.)
- I feel like, in a lot of ways, I've reprogrammed my brain and body to eat healthier, smarter, fresher, and lower calorie. It's like when I first did Weight Watchers and I suddenly realized that there was a better way of eating. This has done the same thing, I think. Even more so.
- I'm actually excited to exercise (I know, hold the phones!). Not a brutal work-out, but a nice run outside in the warm weather or a swim in the pool. Even though, on the whole, I hate exercise, I'd gotten so used to it that my body misses being more active.
- I did not reach my goal weight. I am still about 4 lbs away. I feel good where I am, and am very relieved about the difference in the way I look, but I would still really like to reach that weight, just to give myself a little more cushion.
- Pretty much nothing I own fits me. Except these jeans that I didn't know what to do with. (I'm so glad I hung onto them!) I need a whole new wardrobe. Literally, I hardly have anything to wear. And I can't afford $2000 to rebuy every pair of jeans, capris, skirts, dresses, shirts, pajamas, sweats, etc. I guess I'll be dressing really boring and repetative for the next little while!


Stay tuned for a few more updates on how the Maintenance Phase is going. If I can keep up with it, I should be able to make a new set-point for my body. Who knows, I might even lose a few more!


*originally written 4/12/10

p.s. I was going to post before and after pics, but honestly they don't look that all that different.

8 comments:

Mrs. O said...

I start in on the VLCD tomorrow. Hold me!

19 inches - super impressive! Do you see it in your face? That was one area I really noticed it on me. I am hoping to lose it from my legs and hips. I just need to break through this wall I've hit.

Mrs. O said...

Oh! I'm betting the joint pains were related to pop consumption.

Tiffany said...

Amazing. I'm back to WW right now and finally finding my groove (I think). I'm shocked at how much I was eating before, thinking that I wasn't eating that much.

CaraDee said...

Way to go!
I am with you on the smaller stomach thing. I eat more than one serving of dinner now and OUCH. Yay!

Kristina P. said...

Good for you! I hope that this was the jump start you needed.

Amber said...

Arianne I'm starting on the HCG on Friday, I can't wait. I did a "mini round" using what my dads wife had left and lost 11 lbs in 2 weeks. So I can't wait to see what a full round does for me. I'm so glad to see that it helped you, it's encouraging to now :) Hope you're doing well!! I love your blog :)

Financial Aid for College said...

The only person I have known up-close who did this diet exactly, has gained every ounce back, if not more. She might as well not have done it.

Suffering so intensely for 3 weeks is awful. Doing it for nothing is worse than awful.

But we have to keep trying, and hooray for those who do.

kado! said...

good for you!