Thursday, February 12, 2009

Mothers' Valentine's Day


Today was my first day as a mom. You might think your first day as a mom is the day they hand you your tiny baby in the hospital. But you are wrong. Your first day as a mom is the first day you have to represent yourself at your child’s school. Through valentines. Now my daughter is only 3. And she’s an oldest child. So she has no preconceived notions of what Valentine’s Day should be. Or just how pivotal this moment will be for the rest of her school career. But, I do. And, really, this is the moment that tells her what kind of mother she has, and just how much pride and/or embarrassment she will suffer at the hands of said mother at school for the rest of her life. I want to be a source of confidence to her as she grows up. I want her to feel proud of who she is, and where she came from. I want whatever interaction I have with her at school for the rest of her life to make her feel secure, and to catapult her into popularity, not shame or infamy. Is that so horrible of me? So yesterday and today as we prepared for her first ever Valentine’s Day, I really put 100% into it. I stayed up late, I got up early, I skipped my nap time/me time/ internet time….I really wanted this to set the precedent for our relationship together when public appearances and treats were concerned. She is now on her way to school with beautiful homemade cards and delicious homemade cookies.

I have no idea to expect from my first Valentine's Day as a mother either. I hope I did her proud.

10 comments:

Devri said...

Sounds wonderful, I hate valentines day at school. 5 kids x's 25 students. argh!!!

She is cool now for sure!!!

lisa24n7 said...

homemade? you rock! :o)

Kenny and Kelli Ray said...

Homemade Valentine's too...you go girl!

tiburon said...

Wow - our school won't allow homemade treats - they all have to be store bought.

You are lucky!

mCat said...

I'm sure you'll do her proud! I am SO glad we are past that crap. Valentine's day and the Halloween parade were my most dreaded school days for my boys!

rychelle said...

so, mine are in the mail right?

Kristine said...

You'll have to let us know how thing went! I can't believe you hand made all your cards! I think I made Josh's valentines pretty cute if I do say so. I just hope he has a good time tomorrow :)

Mia said...

WOW That is so cool that you did all that for Daphne. I am pretty sure I will never be the cool mom at school parties.

Financial Aid for College said...

Wait until Beck's first Valentine's day. By then you may have another baby, and Beck's special Valentines will be a sucker with a sticker on the wrapper. A lost cause. Remember how "special" I made everything for YOU, my second child?

I'm sorry (sniff!).

Anonymous said...

You went above and beyond what I would do. For this Valentine's Mason picked out some Transformers cards to which he taped some candy. He also wrote (by himself) the to and from parts of it. I drove him around to deliver them. I remember leaving cards at the doors of my friends (and girls I liked), ringing the doorbell and running. Seems like times keep changing.