Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Innauguration Cake


So I signed up to make a cake for a missionary gathering today. I was pretty excited about it. Back in Michigan our family had the missionaries over for dinner on a regular basis. But here, our whole WARD shares a missionary feeding assignment every few months. So I was excited to make a cake for this missionary lunch, even though I wouldn't be there to see them enjoy it or anything.

I decided to make my sister's apple cake. Let me say, I'm not much for fruit desserts. In fact, the first time Jennie said she was making this for a family dinner I was like, "Are you kidding me? APPLE CAKE?" To me, that sounded like a waste of calories. But, as usual, she was right. It's divine. Really. If the cake itself weren't good enough (which it is), the homemade butterscotch sauce would win you over for sure.

I called my sister as the cake was nearing the end of its baking time to ask what it should look like when it's done, and it was then that I found out that I had inadvertently made inauguration cake. My sister told me that at Barak Obama's inauguration luncheon's menu was based on the inauguration luncheon menu of Abraham Lincoln. Lincoln was very fond of Apple Cake and it was on his menu (along with a bunch of other really interesting frontier recipes). The Obamas had it today as well. So it has become an inauguration tradition. Here too, I guess! So in honor of Inauguration Day, here is the recipe.

Apple Cake With Butterscotch Sauce

½ cup butter softened
2 cups sugar
½ tsp vanilla
2 eggs
2 cups flour
1 ½ tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
½ tsp salt
½ tsp baking soda
6 cups chopped, peeled apples

Butterscotch Sauce:
½ cup packed brown sugar
¼ cup butter cubed
½ cup heavy whipping cream

In a large mixing bowl, cream butter, sugar, and vanilla. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each one. Combine dry ingredients. Gradually add to creamed mixture, and mix well. Batter will be stiff (like cookie dough. And it will seem like there isn't even close to enough dough, but it puffs a lot while baking). Stir in apples until well combined. Spread into greased 9x13 pan. Bake 350 for 40-45 minutes, or until top is slightly brown and springs back when lightly touched. Cool 30 mins before serving.

Meanwhile, in a small sauce pan, combine brown sugar and butter. Cook over medium heat until butter is melted. Gradually add cream. Bring to a slow bowl over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and serve with cake.


Enjoy!

3 comments:

Chelsea said...

Oooh, YUM. I love apple cake! Thanks for the recipe!

mCat said...

Sounds so yummy! I wish I weren't baking challenged. If it involves more than 5 ingredients, I am lost.
Maybe I can talk my son into making it.....

Anonymous said...

Sounds great, especially since it doesn't look like it's real butterscotch. Maybe I'll add some rum flavoring to it, though - butter rum is even better.