Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Big Girl

My first little baby, Daphne, started her first day of preschool today. Oh my gosh, how is that possible??? It seriously blows my mind that my tiny 5 1/2 lb baby is old enough (though still barely big enough) to be going to "school." When we went for the orientation meeting last week, the teacher asked me if there were any separation anxieties they needed to know about. "No, I told them. "She loves new experiences and new people. When we take her somewhere new, she runs in and never looks back." Today when I took her in, she threw her "packpack" at me and started to run off to join the other kids. Probably seeing the rejected look on my face, Teacher Sherilyn took her hand and said, "Daphne do you want to say goodbye to Mommy?" "NOPE!" Daphne shouted, and ran off. Ya, that's my little independent girl.

Daphne in her "heart pirate" clothes, which I had a hard time convincing her to wear because she "didn't want to be a pirate today."


Daphne wanted to show off her cow packpack.


And here she is, running away from me without looking back, just like I thought she would.

18 comments:

Hildie said...

Relief, if only for a few hours!

Jen said...

Mason is the same way, the only difference is he is really shy. so he will run off and not care, but he also has a hard time talking to anyone. lol Mason starts next tuesday and is so excited!

Misty said...

First day pics are the best...and her backpack is adorable!

tiburon said...

Isn't it crazy that our girls are in school?!?! She is so cute!

See you for lunch tomorrow :)

Chelsea said...

I think it's great that she's so independent! Yay for preschool!

Sara said...

So cute, makes me wish I had one more little girl to dress up! Well maybe not, but it sounded good for a second.

Nicki said...

How darling is she! At least it will be a nice break for you and she'll have so much fun :)

kimberlina said...

I am SO loving having Maija in preschool twice a week, and she is so loving having time out of the house. It sounds like Daphne is going to love it, too! They are growing up so fast. It makes me sad in some ways, but relieved in others :-)

P.S. I absolutely love the backpack. So adorable!

Mindi said...

okay, the cow backpack could be my most favorite, ever!!
my baby goes to preschool next week and i must say i am PSYCHED!! i wonder if the tears will come or if i'll still just be a hard core beeyotch??? time will tell...

daphne is adorable

Notme said...

Landon started today also! I can't believe they grow so fast. Cute pirate clothes!

sarah marie. said...

she is too cute for words.

Kristine said...

Did she have fun? She is so funny to run away! She is just so cute! Josh starts pre school Sept 5th and I am bit nervous and excited! I hope he does well!

Suzie said...

oh my cute.
Gee I wonder where she gets her independence, sass & bravery from?

Kay said...

That's a kawaii backback!

How'd she do on her first day?

Kay said...

That's a kawaii backback!

How'd she do on her first day?

Mia said...

So darn cute that Daphne!!! I love that she is so independent and brave. I love having Zoey in preschool and I can't wait til Reed goes next year. It is really good for them and they love it.

Erica said...

She's a doll!

alex dumas said...

I can't say that word backpack (packpack) without the stupid tune from Dora taking over my brain.