Monday, March 3, 2008

Death Warmed Over

I dont' know what the term "Death Warmed Over" means, but I know what it feels like. This weekend our house got hit by the stomach flu. UGH. Big Daddy started throwing up Saturday night. I figured it was just something he ate because the rest of us felt fine. But by 4am I was having the worst diahrrea--the kind you have to run to the bathroom for or you won't make it. And every 15 minutes thereafter, sometimes less, I'd have to run to the bathroom. I began getting achy and having chills, and by morning I was sick as a dog. (And that's another thing; Where does THAT idiom come from? Why a "sick dog?" I've never seen a sick dog. All the dogs I've ever seen are robust and hyperactive. Is there some island in the world where all the dogs lay around with aches and fevers and throw up? Remind me never to go there.) I took Immodium, followed by another dose of Immodium 4 hours later, and things finally got under control about 11am. But I was feeling like....ya, here it is again, death warmed over. Every part of my body hurt. Even lying in bed hurt. I couldn't sleep--my brain wouldn't shut off. I had the Deigo theme song stuck in my head for about 20 hours straight. I was too weak to get up, my stomach was too crampy to eat. I can't remember the last time I felt that awful. I was hoping that the kids had been spared. But when Big Daddy went to get Daphne up, she had thrown up sometime durig the night. And Beck had the same kind of diarrhea as me. None of us had much of an appetite. And Beck kept lying down on the floor, he was so tired and weak.

The worst part about it is that I had a TON of stuff to do to prepare for my trip to Texas the next day. Laundry, packing, tying up loose ends, etc. And I got NONE of it done. By evening I wasn't feeling any better...maybe worse. But Big Daddy was on the mend, so it gave me hope that this was just a 24 hour bug and that I'd soon be better.

Well, its 7am the next day and I AM feeling better. I'm not 100%. I still feel a bit weak and shakey. But the aches seem to be gone and so far I don't feel any stomach cramps. But I also haven't tried to eat yet.

Well, I'd better get going. I have a full day of work ahead of me to get ready. Traveling by myself with the two kids was daunting enough; now I have to try to face it at 80% strength. And I just called the airline and found out that there are no extra seats on the plane for me to put Beck in, so I'm going to have to hold him, which will be such a joy. Wish me luck!


Christie said...

I hope you get feeling better. Good luck too travelling with 2 kids by yourself!

Chelsea said...

Oh man, stomach bugs are no fun. I'm glad you're feeling better. Have a great trip!

Tiburon said...

Eeek! I hope you are feeling better!

Jennifer said...

Oh thats the worst, when you have so much to do, but dont feel like doing it. Im glad you are feeling better.

alex dumas said...

Sometimes I think getting sick is a body's way of telling you to slow down. Like, "Relax or I'll make you sick and you'll be forced." But this was probably not one of those times.