Sunday, January 27, 2008

President Hinkley has died


Our dear prophet, Gordon B. Hinckley has died at age 97. Reports are not very detailed yet, but what we've been told is that he died due to old age essentially. It came suddenly to most of us who only heard the news after he was dead, but he died with his family around him, so obviously there was some warning that he was not doing well, and they gathered to be with him.

I can remember President Kimball being made the president of the church although I don't have memories of David O McKay before him. I also remember vividly when President Kimball died and president Benson was made the new prophet. I also remember him dying and President Hunter becoming the new prophet. But most of the time I remember, it was sweet President Hinckley at the head of our church. I met him twice--once in San Diego at my stake singles conference and once in Salt Lake when he attended my singles ward along with President Faust. I was in the ward choir who sang at that event and sat only a few seats away from President Hinckley. I always admired him for his strength, his humor, his humility, his candor, and most of all for his ambition in spreading the church and in getting temples established so widely on the earth.

I have always loved President Monson and will be thrilled to have him as the new prophet, but no one will be able to replace the amazing effect that President Hinckley had on the earth. He was an amazing leader of our church.

2 comments:

Kristine said...

Amen. What an inspiration he was to everyone. Its weird to think that my own kids will never know President Hinckley. He is the only real prophet I've known.

alex dumas said...

And life goes on. Isn't it interesting that it really doesn't matter who the prophet is; since it's the Lord's church, the work just keeps moving forward.