Saturday, May 24, 2008

Hot Hot Hot



The concert was awesome. Yes, the accoustics at the E-Center suck. Yes, Robert Smith had lost his voice (and is surprisingly fat now). Yes, we did have 4 drunk lesbians rubbing on each other right in front of us the whole time. But the concert still rocked! It was more of a greatest hits tour from what I could tell (there were only 2 or 3 songs I didn't know) and that's just the way I like it. They played some of my all-time favorites like Killing an Arab, Letter to Elise, 10:15 On a Saturday Night, Edge of the Deep Green Sea, Lullaby....oh, I could go on and on because they're almost all great songs! And the people-watching wasn't bad either.

No, I didn't wear all black. In fact, I'm not sure I had anything on at all that was black. I think when you get to my age and you go to a concert like this, you have two options: You can be a poser and put on clothes you really don't wear anymore and try to pretend that you've stayed true to your new wave roots all this time. And then everyone else looks at you and thinks, that lady is too old for this. Why does't she grow up and get a life? (I know this because we saw quite a few of those there and that's what we thought.) Or you can dress how you normally dress and know in your heart that you are a dyed in the wool fan, no matter how suburbanized you look on the outside. I chose the latter. And I felt good about it.

I'm still glowing in the euphoria of live Cure music the next day I think I'm going to have to swap out the CD changer in my car to all Cure CD's for a while. I need to brush up. I realized last night that I can't remember anymore which songs are from which albums. That's practically an act of treachery to a die-hard fan. Sorry Robert. I'll repent.

Possibly the best part of the evening was using Tiburon's "handy-crippled" parking pass to park right up front at the concert. I'm not saying I don't like The Cure, or hanging out with awesome friends, but not much in this world beats parking up front at a huge concert. Ya baby.



Finally, I have to confess that I happily spent the $45 for a new Cure t-shirt. I have one from the Wish tour that is roughly the size of a refrigerator. I'm not exaggerating. It was the early 90's and baggy clothes were still really in. The Cure took their fashion sense to the extreme, even with their tour t-shirts. By the next tour, mid 90's, baby T's were in, so I got a microscopic little t-shirt that I wore all the time. It looks about the right size to fit Daphne now, so I can no longer wear it. My new t-shirt addition is just right. You should start seeing it show up first as pajamas, then work out clothes, then casual wear. And gradually I'll phase it in as office attire and church clothes if I can find a good black skirt to go with it and some 14 hole Doc Martens. Who knows, maybe I WILL reclaim my new wave roots afterall.

9 comments:

Jeanette said...

Looks like you had fun. I'm with you, dress like you usually do.I'm sure the people watching was a blast though. I sure am jealous!

Chelsea said...

So fun! I can't wait to see pictures of you in your Cure T-shirt on the way to church! :D

tiburon said...

I completely agree. It was a great show! And great to spend the time with you and Christie.

Mindi said...

am still a little bitter that i missed it, but you three look like you couldn't have possibly done any better--my favorite part of the evening would have been the 4 drunk lesbians. i can't help myself--so naughty.

glad you got a tshirt that's somewhere inbetween 22222xxxxxxl and xxxxxxs--lived vicariously thru you guys last night and made my man listen to my "greatest hits" cd.

Notme said...

Jealous! Now I want to whip out my cure CD! You guys look so cute, I'm glad you had fun!

Christie said...

The drunk lesbians were a highlight of the night! Glad you could come with us.

Mia said...

Yeah! So glad you gals has such a great time at the concert. I love people watching so that would have been fun too.

Christie said...

It was fun. Glad you were able to come with such short notice. We'll have to do it again some time soon.

alex dumas said...

Have I mentioned that I love Mindi?