Saturday, April 12, 2008

A Big Day

It was a big day for us at the Thompson house yesterday. First, we started potty training Daphne in earnest. She got her first pair of big girl panties (Elmo, Dora, and Little Mermaid ones. Although I'm generally strongly against clothing, bedding, etc. with commercial characters on it, I'm fine with bribing Daphne a little bit by buying her "exciting" panties). She had already been going potty in the "Daphne potty" for about a week or so. She was very good at it, enjoyed it, and hadn't pooped in her diaper at all since we started, so I figured she was ready to try panties. So far so good. She has had two accidents (pee pee) in her panties since yesterday, and to be fair, both times were when I neglected to take her to the toilet often enough. But she noticed immediately and yelled, "Mommy! Peepees!" So I think she'll make the connection soon. We're very proud of her.


(I like this picture best because not only does it show off her new panties, she's also doing The Robot pretty well.)

Secondly, Beck took his first steps. He has been extremely lazy and unmotivated about walking. He CAN walk (at least I think so judging by how well he balances and moves when I only hold one of his hands). But he has no interest. You can coax him forward with all kinds of treats, his binky, a drink, etc., but he will not walk. He'll walk just fine while you hold one or two hands, but the second you let go, he acts as though his feet were stuck in cement. But yesterday Kelly and I practiced with him quite a bit and managed to eek 3 measly steps out of him. Hey, we'll take it. I still think he's weeks from actually walking, but it's a start.

So the kids are growing up. It's amazing. It blows my mind that I have this little girl who talks to me all the time, tells me her thoughts, (lately her favorite expression is "I'm so mad!"), and plays independently. And my little baby boy is starting to talk, know his body parts, imitate more animal sounds, read books, and is less and less a baby (although he is suddenly VERY attached to his binky). Now if I could just get these kids to sleep in until 10am, I'd say life was perfect!

8 comments:

Koreena said...

What great accomplishments from both kids! I wish Matty could be bribed with "big boy underwear" but he couldn't care less.

Kristine said...

Ugggg, I hate potty training! Way to go Daphne! Sounds like she is on her way to being a big girl!

Hildie said...

Way to go Ari! Lots of great stuff chez Thompson!

Christie said...

Congrats to your big kids. I know that sometimes it seems sad that they're growing up. But other times, its really nice too for them to be more independent.

I'm with you on the character stuff - I really hate it on clothing, but don't mind it so much on the panties. Maybe its because no one sees them.

Jen said...

Thats great! Congrats. I too wish Mason would sleep until 10am. although im not sure who wouldnt. lol

Chelsea said...

That is a big day! Yay, Daphne and Beck!

tiburon said...

Woo hoo! Congrats to them both. If you figure out the 10am thing, let me know. I haven't been able to get my kids to do that yet!

alex dumas said...

I think the most unnerving thing about potty-training is when they keep peeing in the panties, so the panties get removed and the child runs free until she can learn to recognize when it's time to sit on the toilet. Naked little bodies running around just sends me to the edge. When my sister's twins were at that stage and there were two of them running free, I almost couldn't take it.