Wednesday, August 26, 2009

A Public Service Announcement On How to Fix Your Majorly Screwed Up Blog

Not that probably any of you care--or at least you won't until it happens to you and then you'll come crawling back to this post to figure things out--but I fixed my blog and it should now appear just fine (solid background under text, sidebar stuff on the side). And here's how it got screwed up:

You know how when you create a new blog post you can choose to write it in "compose" or in "edit html"? Well, if you write it in compose, which I usually don't, it will add in some html codes to space out the paragraphs, etc. One such code is the "div" code. And each time it adds a "div" there is a "< /div >" to close the html code. If you inadvertently (or advertently, in my case) delete some of the < /div >'s cause they annoy the crap out of you, you may find an error message when you try to publish that says something like "Hey, you idiot. You have messed with my perfectly good html code and your blog is about to get majorly screwed up." But fortunately, underneath that error message, a little box can be checked that says "Shut up. I'm too lazy to fix all those codes. Just publish my post already!" I frequently just check that box because, well, I am too lazy to fix all those html codes. And things have always worked out just fine when I have checked that box. Well, this time, not so much. Evidently it really can majorly screw up your blog. If you have multiple missing "< /div >'s," your entire side bar will relocate to the bottom of your blog and the nice pale pink background you had your friend/blog designer put in underneath your text to make it readable will just up and disappear, leaving only crazy, hot pink, headache-inducing swirls.

So, the moral of this story is, Always Write In "edit html." Or it could be "Stop Being So Lazy And Add a Few < /div >'s. But who wants to do that?? Blech. I'll stick with "edit html."

p.s. Thanks to the people at blogger help who so kindly furnished me with the answer to this baffling mystery.

p.p.s. Thanks to all of you who kindly lent your help in letting me know if you were seeing my blog right or not. Turns out it had nothing to do with the browser. Or if it did, I don't want to know. I'd like to live in the delusion that I fixed this issue all by myself.


.

13 comments:

mCat said...

And now, I can be saved from the same mistake!! I barely figured out the whole compose thing anyway, so I tend to stay in edit html mode out of sheer habit : )

I'm such a technotard

CaraDee said...

I'm sorry, shouldn't the moral of the story be stay the hell away from the "edit html" section??? I always do (unless I'm embedding a video) and I don't have these problems. I also never blog. ha

Kristina P. said...

I NEVER write in Compose. And I can tell when people do, because their paragraphs are always spaced a mile apart.

Jen said...

Now the only thing that looks a little off is your header, its slightly to the right, and not centered. Good job fixing the other problem, its more than I could do.

veronica said...

I'm impressed that you took the blog by the horns and fixed the issue!

Issues like these frequently ruin my day. I.just.can't.fix.it! And then everything spirals downward from there. Not even kidding.

Omgirl said...

No, Cara! The "edit html" is actually way easier because it doesn't add anything you don't put in, whereas the "compose" is always trying to outthink out and adds stuff you don't. I never use "compose" unless I'm putting in lots of pics and want to see them while I write the captions.

Kay said...

I didn't notice anything strange.. but then it's been awhile since I visited.

Congrats on 2nd place in your dance contest.

Financial Aid for College said...

When I opened your blog today, all I got were the hot pink spirals. But Carolyn J. had taught me a trick to read the text anyhow: highlight the whole article, and it will be white print on royal blue background, with pink swirlys at the sides.

I had read almost all of your entry in white on blue when -SHAZAM- the cream background showed up and I could read normally. Can't figure out why it took 2 minutes catching up with the rest of the blog, but it finally came through.

I'm glad, cause I LOVE your blog!

Kristine said...

Very nice! All better :)

Jaime Haney said...

This was great. Thanks for posting it! I get to vicariously dance through you!

I left you something on my blog if you have a chance to look :)

tiburon said...

Soo good to know.

It was making me crazy that I couldn't figure it out!

Shawn said...

Uh----I am still lost....

Anonymous said...

Yeah, those HTML tags are pretty important. I stay in compose mode unless I want to edit the HTML tags to add a table or change the font to something that isn't available in compose mode. Good luck in the future.