Wednesday, July 9, 2008

I'm In Love!

Living in the center of Happy Valley doesn't really put you in a hot spot for quaint little cafes, one-of-a-kind boutiques and charming mom-and-pop restaurants. If you've ever lived in my county for any length of time, you've noticed that only big chains thrive here. Many is the time I've come to love a darling little shop or unique restaurant only to find it has gone out of business in the first year and been replaced by a Chili's or Kohl's. If you can't get it from Hoboken to Houston, Talahasee to Tacoma, Utahans don't want it. So although I'm glad we have a few restaurants in my little town now, albeit chains, I was absolutely delighted when I stopped by a new bakery that just opened and found it a charming, quaint, mom-and-pop, original. It's called Flour Girls and Dough Boys. They bake breads and all kinds of yummy treats, and they make really creative sandwiches, wonderful soups, and even made-from-scratch pot pies (don't drool, Jennie). Their wedding cakes on dislay blew me away. They even do breakfast! And the place is so cute inside too. I took quite a few pictures because I was just blown away to find someplace so original in Smalltown, Happy Valley. I felt like I'd walked into a little cafe down a small street in Paris or Florence! Should I pinch myself?


I'm going to have to eat there every day to keep this place from going out of business. And it shouldn't be a problem as I saw at least 15 things right off the bat (and that's not counting desserts) that I'd like to try. (Today I ordered a Turkey & Brie sandwich with creamy cranberry sauce on cranberry walnut bread, chicken orzo stew, and a peanut butter brownie) .If you ever come to see me and it's lunchtime, I promise to take you to this place. In the meantime, tell everyone you know in my neck of the woods to try it. If it goes out of business, I'm holding you all responsible. And I'm blowing up Chili's.


The cute orange checkered floors...


I'm not sure why there's a door and windows on the inside--I guess the building is an add-on. All the more charming, I think.


I loved this wall of clocks and mirrors and frames...


And there were four of five antique chandeliers, all different.....


I wish I could get married again so I could have them do my wedding cake. Aren't they stunning?

14 comments:

Chelsea said...

That place looks so cute! And the food sounds amazing. Turkey & Brie with cranberry sauce...I'm drooling just thinking about it!

.jimaie.marie. said...

oh wow...i can TOTALLY see why you're in love...*sigh* i'm pretty sure i could LIVE in that place!!!!!

very cool, i'm jealous!
and what you ordered? uh, YUM-O!!!

Christie said...

I totally want to know where this place is. I'd love to meet you some day for lunch - I get sick of the same-old places for lunch around here.

Omgirl said...

I'll email you the address, Christie. I'd love to meet for lunch! I just need to stash my kids so I don't blow my brains out.

tiburon said...

So cute! We need to for sure meet up :)

sarah marie. said...

arianne..send me the pictures! i love seeing any from that night.

Hildie said...

Awwww. I want to go there NOW!

Corpuz Family said...

I love little places like that. Utah needs more of them. It is sad to see them shut down because of big chains. Good luck keeping it open!

Kenny and Kelli Ray said...

I love this place...I discovered it a few months ago...sorry for not sharing. Their bread is DELICIOUS!!!! ...and their treats, oh so good. And like you, love the decor. It was kind of my little secret get-a-way...

Kristine said...

Cute place! I want to go! Can we do dinner with out kids??

Kay said...

I want to check them out next time I'm in Utah.

CaraDee said...

Just so you know, minutes after seeing this post, and a few minutes before my Mom and Aunt arrived to spend the afternoon, I decided to take them there for lunch. I tried your damn turkey and brie. LAME-O. My Mom ate it for me. No lettuce??? Just the meat on the flat bread with creamy sauces? WHAT? I ate her sausage something soup, which was good. We shared a creme puff. Super good, tho a little heavy on the almond flavoring. I'd go back, I GUESS. DANG DAMN DARN.

Omgirl said...

Just so you know, I don't recommend the turkey and brie. Unles you love brie. I forgot that I don't really like brie--it's slightly blue-cheesy. Otherwise, it was good though. I went there again yesterday and had the chicken avacado sandwich with sundried tomatos on foccacia. WAY yummier. I'd order that one again and again.

alex dumas said...

Apparently they're still in business, so you must have tried all the menu items by now.