Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Art Deco Delight


Delysia LaFosse, pronounced like "delicious": A character with that name could not live in any other time but the Art Deco period. It's the name of the lead character in the movie I just watched on DVD last night, Miss Pettigrew Lives For a Day. It stars Frances McDormand as an out of work governess who mistakenly gets a job working as a social secretary for Delysia, a social climbing entertainer played by Amy Adams (Enchanted). It's a delightful, charming comedy-romance. It's even better than your usual romantic comedy because of the beautiful sets, clothes, and music from the mid 1930's. It's also very well-acted and well-directed. Frances's English accent is dead on (and that's key for me. I despise poorly-done accents. They just ruin a movie with distraction).

I checked this movie out the other day when I was at Blockbuster and couldn't find anything else. I like Frances McDormand and Amy Adams, so I didn't figure it could be too bad. Big K rolled his eyes when I showed him my selection and said he'd find something else to do the night I watched it. But last night when I put it on, the laptop on his lap gradually found its way to the couch next to him and then the floor. Ya, he loved it. He couldn't help it! It was just that cute of a movie. So if you missed it in the theater, and you are looking for something you could describe using the words "darling," "sweet," "charming" and "funny," this is your movie.

6 comments:

Hildie said...

We saw that a couple of months ago at the theatre (I'm pretty sure we were the only ones). The whole time I kept thinking that it was weird how just about every scene was in the apartment. Then at the end it said it was adapted from a play. It totally had that "play" vibe. I also didn't realize that the whole thing was happening in one day. You'd think the title might have clued me in.

Chelsea said...

I thought this looked cute when I saw the trailers but never got around to seeing it. Thanks for the recommendation!

Mindi said...

i love that you "wore him down"--the rbc is exactly the same. he 's pretty good about chick flicks, but he would have rolled his eyes about that one, too.

UNTIL HE WAS SUCKED IN.....

haven't seen it yet. will rent it. NOW.

Notme said...

I want to see that. Sounds like something Brett would fuss over too. I liked your "Big K" comment. Too funny!

Christie said...

I'll have to add it to my ever growing list of movies that I want to see, but never get the chance. It does sound good, and I love Amy Adams

alex dumas said...

Amy Adams is adorable. But wasn't there some hanky-panky in there?