Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The Evolution Of Hating Posting Mechanisms

I remember very clearly when I first started blogging being irritated by word verification. Not so much because it was an extra step before being able to post my oh-so-important comment as much as because I seem to lack the DNA that allows you to read those warped letters. I always got them wrong, making it a five or 10 step process to post a comment instead of one step.

Eventually, due to Chinese commentors who insisted on leaving me a bunch of garbled nonsense characters in my comments, I had to put word verification onto my own comment section. (So sorry. Maybe I'll give it another go without?) I felt like it wasn't fair to hate others for their word verification while having it myself. So I got over it.

Things went fine until about six months ago. Then embedded comments became an option (and probably is the default option because more people had it than didn't have it all of the sudden). Can I just tell you how much I hate embedded comments??? A LOT. Not as much as, like, people driving slowly in the carpool lane, or store clerks who talk to each other while they check me out or anything. Just enough that when I have to go through the comment process on a blog with embedded comments, and it reloads the page so I can add the word verification AFTER I already hit "enter" and then I have to type it and hit enter again, I am miffed.

"Miffed" probably isn't really a high enough level of irritation to write a 4 paragraph blog post about. But I'm trying to get back to regular blogging, so here it is. So if you have embedded comments, why? And why not change! I will love you so much more and you will save me, and probably countless millions, any more miffedness.

Thank you in advance. And I promise work on my word verification situation, the Chinese be damned!

12 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I totally agree.

ALthough, it appears that Blogger added some type of spammer detector?

Bjorge Queen said...

I'd probably feel more important if random Chinese people would post comments on my blog. It would make me feel better to know that I have a few "drones" out there. Even if said drones spoke a different language like Bajoran or Ferengi or Klingon or what have you.
I'm already sounding a lot less cool than I actually am so I'll leave it at that.
The word verication has never been a problem. For me, the problem has always been trying to remember my google password. Blame the adult ADD. I finally realized that it's the same as my paypal password so it's no longer a problem. Except for that now, if anybody here figures out my google password, they can go on an online shopping spree on me.

bel said...

How do you know if you have embedded comments? I didn't ask for them so I probably don't, right?

Those Chinese characters usually send a person to adult chat rooms. They are the main reason for my word verification, too. I think that if you can read my blog in English (or have the technology to translate it into Chinese) then you can comment in English (or use that same technology to translate your comment). Just saying...

Jules AF said...

I just changed to embedded comments. I decided I like it. I used to haaateeeeeeee it. But my opinion changed.

Financial Aid for College said...

I still don't know what an embedded comment is. Enlighten us stupid old people.

And I REALLY WANT TO MEET AMY. I dig a woman who knows what Klingon, Ferringi, and Bajoran ARE!

Bjorge Queen said...

We've met, L. ;)

http://bjorgequeen.blogspot.com

Omgirl said...

LOL, Amy. I guess she's never clicked on your blog link or she'd know you were her own niece!

Omgirl said...

Bel, you can leave a comment on your own blog to see if you have embedded comments. Or you can go to your blog settings, then comments tab and scroll down to "comment form placement" where it asks you if you want a pop up window to open or embedded comments or if you want a full page.

alex dumas said...

I do not like them either. Seems like 20 extra clicks. So many you just want to give up.

Mrs. O said...

I changed the date on my comment moderation so anything older than a week has to have my approval before posting. SO far it has caught nearly all the chinese spam.

Mia said...

I moderate comments which is almost as annoying, but I can filter the spam that way.

Teachinfourth said...

I hate having to have people do the word verification thing, too. It's frustrating, but I get tired of those spammers as well.