Tuesday, April 6, 2010

HCG Day 23 - The End In Sight

So I haven't posted much on the HCG Diet lately. It's been pretty status quo. But I just finished my last dose of HCG this morning, so I thought I'd do a little update...

Everything went pretty well until late last week. Then I started feeling way more tired and empty and hungry. There is a sectoin of the HCG Protocol where Dr. Simeons talks about this happening when a person is reaching a natural body weight for their height/age and begins to run out of fat stores. They no longer have the fat calories to support a lower calorie diet. So they begin to feel lethargic and hungry. And that's exactly where I was. In that case, says the manuscript, the person should go up to a 800-1000 calorie diet, but continue to take the HCG for the full 3 weeks. So on Friday and Saturday, I increased my meat portions by 50% and increased my veggies/fruit somewhat. And I felt much better. I also didn't lose any more weight, which is what is supposed to happen. You're just supposed to stay steady until the end of the 3 weeks.

HOWEVER, then came Easter. Saturday night as I (I mean the Easter Bunny) filled the baskets, I (I mean the Easter Bunny) decided to eat a few pieces of candy. And then the next day was our semi-annual Big Daddy's Family Conference Brunch. It's a big eating event, chalk full of wonderful carb-based and fat-based delights. I knew there was no way I would be able to go and not eat. So I planned on blowing off my diet that day, but still trying to keep things within reason. I did pretty well. I ate some more candy (maybe 10-15 pieces), 1/2 cinnamon roll, 1 1/2 servings of breakfast casserole (egg-based, full of veggies, so not entirely outside the diet), a helping of mixed berries (totally on the diet) and a tiny piece of ham. Then for dinner I stuck to the diet completely with just shrimp and veggies. No more candy or other sweets. And when I tallied up my calories for the day, I was just under 1200, pretty decent for a day of mini-binging.

I did gain 0.1 lb by Sunday morning and 1 full lb by Monday morning. But then I went back on the diet hardcore yesterday and lost 1 1/2 lbs, putting me at my lowest weight in 10 years!

So where do I go from here? I have three days of "detox" where I continue the 500 calorie diet while the HCG leaves my system. Then on Friday I start the maintenance phase. It's where I don't have any calorie restrictions, I can begin to eat fats again (dairy, eggs, nuts, higher fat meats), I can eat all fruits and veggies, but no starches or bad-for-you sugars. That lasts for 3 weeks. My weight should stay steady and it should help my body's set-point be reset to my current weight and not try to regain my old weight. After that, it's just recommended you bring in carbs slowly and keep an eye on your weight. (There is a contingency plan for if you go more than 2 lbs over your last HCG weight, but let's not talk about that. I hope it doesn't ever happen).

So that's where I stand. I feel great today. I was hardly hungry at all, thanks to the carbs from Sunday. I am hoping to drop maybe 1 or 2 more lbs in the next 3 days that the HCG is still working. And then, hopefully, I will maintain until I can resume my normal "exercise and eat reasonably for ever and ever amen" semi-diet program.

Any questions?



Daily Weight Loss: 0.8 lbs
Total Weight Loss: 9.4 lbs

14 comments:

Unknown said...

This sounds very extreme! I am impressed you stuck with it. I couldn't handle 500 calories a day.

Kristina P. said...

So, you feel it was worth it? Congrats on the 10 pounds!

just call me jo said...

Dang, I hate that it's so hard to lose weight and so easy to gain it back. 500 calories isn't enough...you need more, my dear.

alex dumas said...

Yes, I have a question. How do you feel about the way you look,? Is it much different? Can other people tell?

Omgirl said...

Kristina, YES, worth it. It was the hardest diet I've ever done, I won't lie. I think it may be harder even than hardcore exercise 5x a week. BUT, where I only lost maybe 1.5 lbs a week when I dieted and exercised a lot, I lost more like 3-4 lbs a week, so that made it worth it for sure.

Alex, I feel like I look a lot better! I feel like me again. I can definitely tell my body shape has changed. I see it in the thighs a lot, in the belly a lot, in the waist. I have been by told others that they see it in my face as well, but I can't see it there myself for some reason.

What I love the most is that I'm wearing a size 6 jeans now! That's how I can tell it's real. It's hard to see the changes when you look in the mirror, but when you drop 2 pants sizes, it's much more convincing.

I still have quite a bit of belly fat I want to lose, some hip fat, some upper arm wobble (a lot there), but I guess most of that is going to have to come through toning as well as weight loss. But I feel like I'm finally to a size that when I do work out you'll actually be able to see it.

Mrs. O said...

Did you take before/after measurements? I'm curious about the inch loss. 10 lbs is awesome!

Lia said...

I was wondering where you purchased it from?

Well done you for sticking to it.

much love
Lia
xx

alex dumas said...

Size 6 and you still have fat to lose? What's left? :)

Kristine said...

Wow you're amazing! The best part I bet is feeling amazing! Good job Arianne!

Kelli said...

Congratulations! You look great. Wish I could get the same motivation. Grrrr.

CaraDee said...

I don't know about anyone else, but I could really have benefited from a before/after bikini shot again. HA!

katherine said...

Wow, impressive! I just read your HCG journey. I am on day 4 of the shots (2 days into the 500 calorie) and actually broke down crying! Gah! I'm hungry :(
I decided to search the net for some inspiration and I found it in your blog. Do you have a recipe for that Mexican soup you spoke of? <3

katherine said...

P.S. Look forward to reading updates!

Omgirl said...

Katherine, thanks for stopping by! I'm not sure it was me who posted about Mexican soup...haven't tried any that I recall. But I did find this recipe online...http://www.liquidhcgdiet.com/liquid-hcg-diet-recipes/beef-veal-hcg-recipes/mexican-meatball-soup-hcg-recipe/.

I'm basically done with the diet, so I'll be posting final stats, before/after pics, and measurements and then maybe an update on the maintenance phase once or twice.

Hang in there, the hunger is worst where you are at right now. AFter 4-5 days it gets better. I even suggest a small carb cheat by day 5 if it isn't better. That did worlds of improvement for me. I gained 1/2 lb, but I felt phenomenally better, and lost that 1/2 lb plus some within 1 day.