Wednesday, May 4, 2011

I Scream, You Scream


As I've said before, and though you might not believe me after all that talk about frozen custard and stuff, I'm not much of an ice cream fan. It's not that I don't like it per se. But there are just so many other sweet treats that come first on my list of sugary delights. Mostly baked goods--cake, brownies, cookies, pie, truffles, etc.

But in the summer time, and even in the spring when the days are getting warmer and my blood starts to stir, I do appreciate a good scoop of ice cream. SCOOP is a big part of it, because soft serve is, to me, a big swirly waste of calories. So unsatisfying. But a nice, rich scoop of Baskin Robbins, for example, is just the ticket every once in a while.

When I was a kid, I went through phases of liking a certain flavor and only getting that for a very long time. My first love was Daiquiri Ice, light and refreshing. Then came Chocolate Fudge. (Ironically, this is now Daphne's favorite flavor--totally unsuggested by me--and when I tasted hers, I about died from chocolate overload. I guess some things do change.) Then came a phase where I only liked Jamocha Almond Fudge. Even as a kid, I loved the taste of chocolate and coffee together.

During my teens and early 20's, Baskin Robbins had a seasonal flavor called Chocolate Raspberry Truffle. It was TO DIE FOR. And it only came out a couple of times a year. You were very lucky if you went while it was in season. That was, and still is, my all-time favorite ice cream flavor. But, alas, I haven't seen it in years.

Now my fave is Chocolate Peanut Butter. I love how the huge wedges of peanut butter get semi-frozen and then melt in your mouth. Wonderful. I will occasionally try something new. And when I'm in the mood for something not quite as rich, I will sometimes have a scoop of Pralines 'N' Cream or my old standby, Daiquiri Ice, but I'm pretty much a Chocolate peanut butter girl for now.

What about you? Are you an ice cream fan? And what's your favorite flavor?

6 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I am such an ice cream fan, and my fave is PB and chocolate too! Target has an ice cream that is their brand that is chocolate ice cream with giant ribbons of PB in it.

Bjorge Queen said...

One summer, 1999 I believe, BR had a flavor called Margarita Ice. It was the bomb. I like the Daquiri Ice (the new formula is better than the old) but I could do without the rum flavoring.
These days I'm mostly into lemon sorbet. It has a fraction of the calories. I like Hagen Daz from the grocery store. Recently I stopped at Smiths on the way home from work to pick up 2 and I got a $1.50 off coupon for when I buy three. I've tricked myself into thinking that saving a $1.50 on $9 worth of icecream (three pints) is a fabulous deal. It probably is a good deal, but I have to raise eyebrow because as a child we only got the gallon buckets of Meadowgold icecream or what have you. But I'm totally stocking up on lemon sorbet before that coupon expires.
When I have real icecream, I'm all about peppermint with hot fudge sauce from Leatherby's. The "small" sundae still makes me feel like I should go to confession.

Mrs. O said...

I adore World Class Chocolate and...hmmm it's been so long since I've had one I can't remember the other flavor. I must remedy that. Immediately.

And that Chocolate Peanutbutter sounds like just the thing.

Alyssa said...

I love chocolate peanut butter but I remember a long obsession as a kid with black raspberry almond something or other. Never see it anymore.

Financial Aid for College said...

LOVE Baskin Robbins, and weep that the store near me has closed. My erstwhile faves were Fudge Chunks 'n Chips, and Golden Delicious Apple sherbet, which tasted more like apples than apples do! Alas, both are extinct.

But Winco carries my ALL TIME FAVORITE: Tillamook's MUDSLIDE! Rich chocolate ice cream with thin layers all through it of that kind of dipping chocolate that melts as it hits your tongue. Talk about chocolate overload - what a glorious death! The last time I could find it, I ate the whole 2 quarts myself in 2 days - and that was only by exercising great restraint!

Chelsea said...

I love ice cream! It's my treat of choice, especially in summer. Ben and Jerry's is my favorite: Cherry Garcia, Americone Dream, and New York Super Fudge Chunk top the list.